Using Apprenticeship in Your Business
Employers in Baldwin County are discovering a new type of employee. They create your future workforce, lift up your community, and help grow your business. We call them an apprentice. Get started today and discover apprenticeship.
What is Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship is an industry-driven, high-quality career pathway where employers can develop and prepare their future workforce, and individuals can obtain paid work experience, classroom instruction, and a portable, nationally-recognized credential. It includes:
- Paid Job - Apprentices are paid employees who produce high-quality work while they learn skills that enhance their employers' needs.
- On-the-Job Learning - Develops skilled workers through structured learning in a work setting.
- Classroom Learning - Improves job-related skills through education in a classroom setting (virtual or in-person).
- Mentorship - Provides apprentices with the support of a skilled worker to assist and enhance critical hands-on learning.
- Credentials - Offers a portable, nationally-recognized credential to be issued at the completion of the program.
Employer Incentives & Benefits
As a registered sponsor with the Alabama Office of Apprenticeship, the Gateway team offers numerous incentives to businesses. In addition to a tried and true platform for training, succession planning, and retention the following financial incentives are available.
- $1,250 tax credit for each apprentice (10 allowed per EIN) per year
- $1,750 tax credit for each apprentice ages 16 & 17 per year
- Wage reimbursement of 50-75% for up to 26 weeks for qualified apprentices
Getting Started with Apprenticeship
The Gateway Team will meet with your management team to review your organizational chart, current positions, current and planned succession planning, etc. You will determine all of the on-the-job competencies and education necessary for a successful journeyman within your business. With that information, we will tailor the apprenticeship exactly to your business.
Currently, the Gateway team has apprenticeships established with the following businesses:
- A&R Hospitality - Lodging Associate, Lodging Manager, Maintenance Technician, Executive Housekeeper
- Home Boss - Home Inspector
- Plasmine, Inc. - Utility Operator, Operator, Lead Operator, Mechanic, Lab Technician, Logistics Tech.
- Safari Club Restaurant - Line Cook, Chef, Restaurant Manager, Maintenance Technician
- State Farm Insurance - Customer Service Rep., Sales Associate, Office Manager
- Wolf Bay Lodge Restaurants - Restaurant Manager
• IN THE NEWS: Gateway Initiative awards journeyman status to five Vulcan employees